Museums, Archives, and Interpretive Centers
Carroll County Historical MuseumThe Carroll County Historical Museum houses many early artifacts and documents from throughout Carroll County. The museum is located in the 1904 Peirce Stone Barn at 700 N. Washington Street.
In addition to the large collection of items and memorabilia, the Museum has an extensive collection of genealogical materials which include primary sources such as original marriage certificates and school records as well as histories, census data, family records and genealogies, and other types of material relevant to families of Carroll and surrounding counties.
The Museum is run by volunteers from the Carroll County Historical Society. These volunteers have constructed many databases, and some of those relevant to genealogy are online at the Museum website which also hosts a digital photo archive of over 15,000 photographs of people, places, and events in Carroll County.
Charles E. Gerard ArchivesLocated on the second floor of the Delphi Opera House at 109 S. Washington Street, the Charles Gerard Archives include the photographic and document collection amassed by Charles E. Gerard and donated to the Delphi Preservation Society prior to his passing in 2005 from ALS.
Wabash & Erie Canal Interpretive Center
The Wabash & Erie Canal Park is located at 1030 N. Washington Street in Delphi on the only functioning and watered portion remaining of the Canal. Canal Park has been under development since the 1970s and consists of many cabins, an early home, and other buildings and displays reflecting life in the Canal Era.
The Interpretive Center, opened in 2003, offers interactive exhibits to tell the fascinating 1832-76 timeline for the creation and development of the Wabash & Erie Canal--the largest manmade waterway in the United States. The large building also houses a Conference Center which is used for weddings and other gatherings.
The summer of 2009 witnessed the debut of the new replica Canal Boat, The Delphi, which is available for rides in the warmer months on a mile-long section of the Canal. The boat holds 40 passengers and crew, and is also available for rental for special group occasions.