|Delphi Courthouse Square Historic District|
Delphi's rich architectural merit has resulted in the listing on the National Register of Historic Places for the Courthouse Square Historic District including the blocks immediately surrounding the public square and extending east to include the City Building and Delphi Public Library. Forty-three buildings are included within the boundaries, many dating from the 1850s through the 1870s. Within the district are three buildings previously listed individually on the National Register: the 1864 Old Delphi City Hall and Opera House, the 1874 Niewerth building, and the 1916 Carroll County Courthouse. Of the forty-three buildings within the district, thirty-one are listed as "contributing" and only twelve as "non-contributing." This is an unusually high percentage of contributing structures.
The nomination process began in 2007 when Delphi Main Street and Delphi Preservation Society cosponsored a grant application to Indiana Main Street. A lengthy process followed, as described on the Delphi Preservation Society website. On January 27, 2010, the Courthouse Square Historic District was given State Register status, and then it was accepted onto the National Register of Historic Places on May 31, 2010.
For a detailed block-by-block walking tour of the Historic District, please follow this link.